The Standards of a Pirate
Hello there,

I don't think I've had the pleasure of fighting you guys, but we have a mutual friend in the form of Obsete Raziel. Your corp appeals to me in some ways. Although it doesn't attempt to financially support players as much as my corp does, we both operate off similar standards of honouring agreements, and fitting in some solo PvP whenever possible. While my skills in Eve lie in sitting in the command chair of a raging fleet fight rather than flying solo, I've always admired corps such as yours who have a sense of honour and standards while roaming lowsec, rather than just being annoying trolls.

I have a question about how your corp runs - why all the rules? Some of them make sense, of course. For example, honouring ransoms keeps your corp's reputation intact. But some of the limitations you put on your players seem a little odd. As an example, all of your members have to maintain -5 sec status or below. Surely things like this are the choice of the player. If they want access to highsec for whatever reason, why not let them? Your CEO talks about how he likes that "You are in control of your own life" when referring to piracy, but your corp members are required to live up to a specific set of rules.

Apologies if I sound a little blunt; your corp looks pretty cool from what I've read. I'm just curious about a couple of points.
Loroseco Kross - Brave Collective FC
Who really needs to go to highsec though? You can fully live a 100% decent lifestyle in eve with a -5.0. If you feel you NEED to get to highsec areas for stuff like jita and what not, then just make a hauler on the same account. Literally takes like 20 minutes to get one and 27.5% cargo expanders.

Also for me the -5.0 was just a sign of being dedicated to the corp and lifestyle. Sure it can be a little annoying at times, but at the same time if someone isn't willing to get something as simple as -5.0 then maybe they really aren't interested in the first place. Maybe its more of a "Oh it sounds neat" and never turns into oh its what I actually wanted.

That is at least my take on it. I'm new and I wasn't around when the rules were made or talked about but its never even really been looked at twice by me.
I agree with Taco.

I'm new here (not as new as Taco) having been with the corporation about 3 months now. I like restriction for two reasons: 1) it shows dedication to the lifestyle and 2) it's more honest.

If a pilot shows up on-grid with you, how do you gauge what's going to happen next? The first thing you'll notice is whether the pilot is a criminal or not. If he's a criminal and in a combat ship you can safely assume you're about to come under fire. If the pilot is not a criminal, you don't know what to expect. This is, perhaps, not true for seasoned players who believe that unless the pilot is purple, green or blue they're about to be engaged; but security status is a definite indicator for new players and they are often put at ease by a lack of red flashing indicators.

I think security status SHOULD be an indicator for all players and I've written about it before on my blog when I was on the other side of the law though I still feel the same as a criminal. But we're a ways off from that ideal when you can just rat up your status to something above -5.0 and suddenly you aren't flashy and freely engage-able anymore.

So for me, it's a way of letting the game show others how you are likely to behave. And that feels, to me at least, more honest.

But I live to a different standard than some others (though I'm definitely not pure as I have characters that can enter high-sec). This is not to say I am better or worse, just that I have a specific way I like to play this game. I spent last night flying my -9.8 character through high-sec and snapping screenshots for the CCP live event -- as a criminal at nearly the lowest possible security status I visited CONCORD's headquarters in Yulai and streaked through Jita as a red flashing harbinger of death.
Hi Loroseco, thanks for your interest in our little organization.

The primary reason for this restriction is that it is a tangible way a recruit can prove to us that s/he's dedicated to the lifestyle. We in REPO. want to know that if you're flying under our banner you're also upholding our traditions and standards. A -5.0 security status is a complete non-issue if you are doing this, because you'll never have to enter high sec anyway, and as criminals we spurn the meager protection of sentry guns. And as Parity mentioned, security status portrays a certain character to those unfamiliar with our organization. The only reasons NOT to go flashy are so that you're slightly harder to gank and have easier access to "safe" space; the former makes you a coward and the latter makes you lazy (and also a coward). Neither of those are traits that we in REPO. want to add to our reputation, and as such the flashy status is more of a medal of honor and less of an oppressive yoke.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to not go flashy, but none of them apply to our lifestyle.

-Viv

Repossession Overseer

Give a man some fire, and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
All fair points. Parity's blog post made a very good read, too. I haven't thought about mechanics that way before.

Personally, I have no RL money for a missioning alt and no mind for trading, so I make a paltry sum doing lowsec exploration sites for an hour or so a day. I'm -3.5, and a 'coward' by your standards, but I find the ability to enter highsec and chase suspects or griefer WTs to be invaluable. Although I suppose that doesn't really apply to life in your corp.

Saying that -5 gives you an identity, and means that players know how you will react, is a fair argument. But when I can predict another player's actions by briefly looking at them on the overview, I don't find it very 'sandboxy'. I always feel pretty badass when I find a neutral in lowsec, and I do the full detective-style stuff with his character sheet to work out what to do next.

But you've answered my question pretty damn well, and if you've put this much thought into all of your rules then you're a corp worth recommending.
Loroseco Kross - Brave Collective FC
On the issue of ISK, a decent profit can be made through PVP itself. With the buffs to T1 hulls, I've found it much easier for players to spend a little extra on the modules; at least to a fully T2 fit (skills providing). Pair that with salvaging the wrecks of the T2 frigates you've destroyed leaves a good possibility of a quick payout. As Taco mentioned previously, it doesn't take too long to train a hauler alt in a new character slot in order to haul loot up to Jita. As an alternative, I hold on to a majority of the loot I find and use it to fit out new hulls.

I understand what you mean regarding flashy standings and reviewing the overview. However, there are ways to twist this initial reaction/assumption to your advantage as a pirate. The possibility of a panicked enemy is very real, and speaking from experience (from both sides of the battle), a panicked player is almost useless in combat.

These sort of mind games are one of the reasons I really enjoy PVP in EVE, and can be argued as one of the most intriguing elements of the sandbox environment (in my opinion).
Repossession Agent, Professional Alcoholic
"We are definitely not as good as we think, but we're way better than everyone else thinks."
-HoG

[Image: knf5znu][Image: pjwah4r]
What marks a pirate out from a typical pvper is the desire and willingness to commit criminal acts to support a lifestyle.

When a pirate is ransoming a ship, or a pod, there is nothing that backs up the threat more than a criminal status. It says very loudly that we have rejected the social contract. We do not care about the restrictions that it places on our gameplay. Do what we say or pay the price.

You cannot be a pirate without being willing to take and embrace negative sec.
Repossession Overseer